Turkish Air Force Past Aerobatic Display Teams
The first aerobatic display team in Turkish Air Force was established in 1952 using the name “National” (Mili). Part of 9th Air Base Command at Balikesir, this team flew F-84G Thunderjet aircraft. The team existed until 1962, performing in Turkey, Italy and Belgium.
In 1955, another display team was formed flying with F-86E Sabre aircraft from the 4th Air Base Command in Eskisehir. This team was given the name “Flying Swans” (Ucan Kugular), and existed until 1965. All the team's planes were painted in white and red colors along with swan figure on the fuselage. The “Flying Swans” performed with both nine and twelve-ship formations. This team performed only in Turkey.
From 1957 until 1959, an aerobatic team flying on F-84G Thunderjet fighters from the 8th Air Base Command in Diyarbekir performed under the name “Scorpions” (Akrep) both in Turkey and Pakistan.
The “Bats” (Yarasalar) display team flying with F-86E Sabre fighters from the 5th Main Jet Base Command in Merzifon and painted in appropriate black and white colors performed from 1964 until 1966.
The 6th Main Jet Base Command in Bandirma formed the “Eagle” (Kartal) aerobatic team flying on F-5A Freedom Fighter airplanes in 1966. In 1971, this team visited Italy and was later disbanded. This was in fact the last year that aerobatic teams existed in the Turkish Air Force, until the “Turkish Stars” were formed in 1992.