The first aerobatic display team of the South African Air Force (SAAF) was formed in 1953 under the name "Bumbling Bees" flying four T-6 Harvard trainers.
The team was drawn from the Flying School at Langebaanweg Air Base The idea for the team's creation belonged to the Flying School's Commandant, Chris Prins, who also became the team's first leader.
The Bumbling Bees aerobatic team later transitioned to de Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9 jets. The team then existed until 1967, when both the Flying School and all the Vampire trainers were moved to Pietersburg Air Base.
Later this school became the 85th Advanced Training Flying School. At this same time, the Langebaanweg School became the Central Flying School.